An Easy 12-Point Checklist to Fix SEO Issues and get Fantastic Results!
An Easy & Cost-Effective Way To Ensure Your Website is Optimized
12 Dead Simple Steps To Complete Your First SEO Audit
To sustain constant website growth, it’s important to regularly evaluate your website. Ensure that your website is optimized.
The easiest way to Audit Your Website SEO.
Usually, SEO audits can take days if not weeks to complete. It can end up costing you hundreds of dollars on tools or professionals to handle them for you.
But, with the right tools, this can be done far quicker.
With the right tools, it is not too time-consuming.
Why is an SEO Audit Needed?
- An SEO Audit Identifies Your Website’s Technical Issues –
- A good SEO audit helps identify technical SEO issues. Technical SEO relates to helping search engines better crawl your website.
- It Identifies Your Website’s On-Page Issues – On-Page SEO refers to any optimizations that you can make to your content “easily.” We define easy as low-hanging fruit that is a relatively simple change to improve SEO.
- Identifies Your Backlinks – Backlinks are still a major part of Google’s algorithm. The trend is typically the more reputable links you have to awesome content, the better your site ranks.
- Helps You Build a Content Strategy
- Action steps. What do you do after you receive all of the data? Take everything you learned about your site’s technical SEO, On-Page SEO, competition, and backlinks; then use that data to come up with a content strategy.
How to Perform an SEO Audit
Check If Your Website Is Using a Single URL
Checking if your website is using a single URL means making sure that all versions of your website are leading to the same web address.
For example, if your website is www.example.com, then you should check that all links, such as
are all routed to the same web address – www.example.com.
Having a single URL helps to ensure that visitors to your website don’t become confused and are taken to the right page.
Verify If Your Website Is Using an SSL Certificate
Verifying if your website is using an SSL certificate is important for ensuring the security of your website and its visitors.
SSL certificates create an encrypted connection between your website and the user’s browser. This ensures that any data sent back and forth is secure and can’t be intercepted by a third party.
To verify if your website is using an SSL certificate, you can check its URL in your web browser.
It should begin with “https://”. as opposed to: “http://” The “s” indicates that the website is secured with an SSL certificate.
Check WordPress Visibility Settings
It is important to check the visibility settings in WordPress for SEO purposes. This will help ensure that your content is being indexed by search engines. And also, that it is being displayed correctly.
Optimizing your visibility settings can help your content rank higher in search engine results. It is considered good practice and helps to get more traffic to your website.
Check your Permalink Structure inside WordPress
Making sure that your permalink structure is set up correctly in WordPress is important for many reasons.
1. It helps search engines index your content and also
2 makes it easier for visitors to find the content they are looking for.
Check if You’ve Setup a Caching Plugin
It is important to check if you have set up a caching plugin on your website. Caching plugins store website content in a temporary storage location. This is done so that the content can be accessed more quickly when requested by a user. This can help improve website performance and user experience.
Verifying With Google Search Console
Verifying your website with Google Search Console is a way to let Google know that you are the owner of the website.
It also allows you to have access to user data from Google Analytics.
For example, how your website is performing in search engine results. How to optimize your website for better performance.
This verification process is easy, free, and essential for website owners concerned about good SEO. It also ensures that their website is visible to potential customers.
Check your website for a sitemap
A sitemap is an important part of your website as it provides a way to quickly navigate through all the different pages on your website. By checking your website for a sitemap, you can make sure that all the pages on your website are easily accessible to your visitors.
there are some pages on a website that should be excluded from the sitemap for various reasons:
- Login/Registration pages: These are typically not important for search engines to index.
- Dynamic pages with user-generated content:
Pages with content that changes frequently, such as a user’s profile page, can create indexing issues for search engines.
- Pages with sensitive information: such as personal data or payment information, should not be included in the sitemap for security reasons.
- Broken pages or pages under construction: Including broken pages in the sitemap can harm your website’s search engine ranking.
- Pages with duplicate or low-quality content: Including these types of pages in your sitemap can harm your website’s search engine ranking.
- The goal of a sitemap is to help search engines find and crawl important pages on a website. So excluding pages that are not important for search engines can improve the overall quality of the sitemap.
Find and Fix Broken Links
“Find and Fix Broken Links” refers to the process of locating and repairing any broken links on a website. A broken link is a link that no longer works and is usually indicated by an error message or a blank page.
By finding and fixing broken links, a website can ensure that all its links are functioning.
Users can get exasperated when this happens. Your visitors should have as little friction as possible in accessing the content they are looking for.
Content Optimizations involve the process of improving a website’s content. Specifically to make it more engaging, informative, and attractive to visitors.
This can include things like
– improving the structure and layout of web pages,
– adding new content,
– altering existing content, and
– optimizing content for search engine visibility.
Optimizing content can help improve a website’s visibility and ranking in search engine results.
It also helps to increase visitor engagement.
Check Schema Mark Up
Checking your Schema Mark Up is an important part of SEO because it allows search engines to better understand the content on your website.
By tagging your content with Schema Mark Up, you tell the search engines what type of content it is.
Providing the search engines with extra information about the page. Such as its author, the type of content on the page, and other relevant data.
This increases efficiency and speed.
Check Image Optimization
Optimizing images on a website is an important component of SEO as it can affect the website’s loading speed.
Images that are not optimized can take longer to load. This can negatively affect the user experience and result in lower search engine rankings.
Optimizing images can be broken up into the following;
– compressing the size,
– using appropriate file types and
– adding relevant alt-text.
These measures can help reduce loading times and improve the overall user experience.
Check Mobile Optimization
Having a mobile-optimized website is essential for good SEO. Search engines increasingly prioritize websites that are optimized for mobile devices. And worse, penalize those that are not.
Mobile optimization ensures that your website is easy to use on mobile devices. Being that more than 50% of all search done today is on a mobile, this is a no-brainer!
“SEO audit identifies the strengths and weaknesses of your website for long-term success.“A Wise Guru
If You Need Help…
GTEM strategically analyzes your website analytics, industry trends, and other important data points to determine what needs to be fixed and what needs to be changed. Contact us today.